Nigeria’s Islamic Court condemns massacre of 13 Muslims

Written by Guest Writer By Waheed Yusuf, CNN The Islamic Sharia Court, in Northern Nigeria, on Tuesday condemned a killing of 13 Muslims in Lagos on Saturday as a massacre, after counter-accusations by the…

Nigeria's Islamic Court condemns massacre of 13 Muslims

Written by Guest Writer

By Waheed Yusuf, CNN

The Islamic Sharia Court, in Northern Nigeria, on Tuesday condemned a killing of 13 Muslims in Lagos on Saturday as a massacre, after counter-accusations by the victim’s family that the death came after a fight in a motor park.

In the first killing of the 2019, four teen-aged boys in a motor park in Lekki on Saturday sparked a shootout that killed three young Muslims and left the boy accused of the crime dead. The victims’ families and other locals have told CNN the 13 were aged between 15 and 19.

That date clashes with an eight-day shutdown of Lekki and its environs by Islamists from the Boko Haram terror group, who want to stop a luxury apartment block from being built in the area and believe the deadly plot is being led by the boy’s family.

A boy’s estate

The boy accused of the crime, Bamidele Fadayomi, who was 15, was killed after he was wounded in the third attack on the estate, according to the two families.

The boy’s father, Bamidele Fadayomi, said that he attended a funeral at the boy’s house and was shocked to see his son and his friends, dead, covered in blood. The dead boy’s father and friends found their phones and keys in the car that the boy and his friends were allegedly using to flee the crime scene, the father said.

“Two weeks ago, in the same area, the Boko Haram people accused my boy’s friends of raping their wives. And I went with my lawyer to catch them. They were charged and then released when it turned out they weren’t involved. So we can’t take lightly the death of any child,” he said.

Earlier the Fadayomi family had reported the death of their son to the police as a kidnapping.

Family of the accused boy claimed that the boy was the son of a prominent businessman and used his new job on the estate to persuade other young Muslims to work there.

Relatives of the victim Alhaji Musa Onibon, who was murdered Saturday, also said the boy had been tasked to lure youths to work on the estate. A former Lagos State official and Lagos State Waste Management Board boss, Alhaji Musa Onibon was a renowned businessman in the area and was murdered in his garage with his family.

“He just died a simple murder. We have no problem with Muslim youths, but those who manipulate them and make them kill other youths. They don’t want to pay their taxes. They don’t want to account for the expenditures of the estate they work on,” said a relative of the accused boy, Yusuf Fadayomi.

A spokesman for the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Chike Oti, confirmed the death in an email to CNN.

“The LASPOTECH Police Command wishes to confirm that four lives were lost during clash at Lekki in Lagos State on Saturday, October 20, shortly after Fadayomi was charged with robbery and subsequent fight ensued resulting in the deaths of three boys.

“The four deaths have been swept under the carpet in view of an ongoing investigation and there are steps being taken to bring all the culprits to book” Oti said.

Leave a Comment